(Above: The original steering group members on the day of our official launch, 23rd October 2010, as an independent parent-led participation forum)
Harrow Parent Forum, as it is now known as is a parent carer forum made up of a group of parents of disabled children. We represent the voices of families of SEN/disabled children from birth to 25 years living in the London Borough of Harrow.
HPF came as a direct result of partnership working with Harrow Council and Harrow Mencap through the Aiming High Programme in 2008. We were originally supported by Harrow Mencap to become independently parent-led in Oct 2010. We are funded by the Department of Education with support from Contact and the National Network of Parent Carer Forums.
Our main aim is to encourage and increase parent participation, co-production with professionals. We do this by providing a wide range of information to parents so they can take part in the conversation on the changes in SEND reforms. We encourage information sharing between parents and professionals (health, education and social care) and helping parent/carers to get together and support each other. We worked together with professionals on strategy boards and through consultation events so that together we can shape services.
Our activities include:
- Representing parents on strategy boards and taking part in consultations
- Establishing working relationships with the local authority and other local organisations
- Helping parents to be informed about current SEND law through training and workshops.
- Developing a database of parent carers, and outreach to hard to reach community groups.
- We also run information drop/ins and Advisory Board meetings to discuss local issues.
CURRENT STEERING GROUP MEMBERS
We welcome all parents and professionals who would like to find more about us or join us. Visit our COUNT ME IN page to find out more about how to join the steering group and support the work we do.
What Have We Been Doing?
- Drop-ins/Coffee Mornings & Evenings
- Parents SEND Information Days
- Benefits Workshop
- Transition Workshops
- SEND Reforms
- SEN Transport (Travel Assistance)
- Short Breaks
- SEN School Placement
- SEND Reforms Parent Advisory Group
- Local Offer
- ‘Future in Mind’
- Health Services
- Transition into Adult services
Strategy Board Membership
- Short Breaks Partnership Board
- SEN Transport Partnership Board
- SEND Reforms Working Groups
- SEND Strategy Board
- Carers Champions
- Ofsted Inspection Working Group
- Early Years SEND Partnership Board